Questions for Reflection
• What captures your attention as you study the children’s work?
• Does anything challenge your thinking or worry you? Why?
Find the details of children’s competence
• What details do you notice in the children’s use of materials that shows their focus and intent?
• What differences do you see in the children’s work?
Examine the physical and social-emotional environment
• How do the collection, combination, and arrangement of materials impact this situation?
• What learning opportunities do the materials offer?
Consider opportunities and possibilities for next steps
• Which learning goals could be focused on?
• What other materials and activities could you offer to build on the experience?
When we ask children open-ended questions during their explorations and play, we are enhancing their ability to…
What do you see/hear/smell/taste/feel?
What did you notice?
What do you think will happen if you ____?
What do you think will happen next?
What made you decide to do ____?
Which of these do you like the most? The least? Why?
Why do you think it/that happened?
Remember/reconstruct prior experiences
What happened the last time we ____?
Relate cause and effect
What happens when/if you ____?
Utilize factual knowledge
Give what you learned about ____, what do you think will happen if I ____?
Put thoughts into words
Why do you think ____?
How do you feel about___?
How would you feel if ____ happened to you?
Think about similarities and differences
Discriminate among objects/events
How are these the same? Different?
What makes these two things go together?
Which one of these doesn’t belong?
What would happen if ____?
What would happen if you ____?
What would happen if ____ instead of ____?
Now that we have ____, what happens if I ____?
What could you do to ____?
How can we ____?
In what other way can we ___?
How many? How long? How far?
Become aware of their thinking processes
How did you know ____?
Why did you decide ____?
How can you use what you learned?
Why do you think we have that rule?
What do you think we should do?
How can you share with others what you think?